Monday, March 23, 2009

umm hello? anyone there? Bueller?

OK :) Happy almost springish. We need to start talking about the paired teaching... I would love to do a poetry introduction or close reading of a poem orrr have students (aka our peers) write thier own poetry. What can we really accomplish in, what is it, 20 minutes? I love this idea that is introduced about how poems can be poems when they don't "look like ine or anything" (xii). I think our lesson (whatever we choose), should focus around this poetry as "power per word quotient." I think I am leaning toward a close reading of one of our favorite Nikki Gio poems. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. You know, I really like the idea that Jago uses of creating a community poem, I think its around pg 39. It would be interesting to see what we would come up with as a whole and then we can share it. I know 20 minutes is definitely not enough time but we can make it work.- Side note it would be really interesting to use images some how (like creating a communal visual poem on a large sheet of paper with lines created in class interspersed throughout... )

    I'm still thinking about poems but (given the time constraints)...Mothers...or Stardate18628.190 or I'm not lonely? i really like all of those but what do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would be a really great thing to do for our paired teaching! A community poem! I mean it might be hard to accomplish like you said, but I think that it would be a great activity besides have the students write their own poems. A discussion would probably be really great too, but I think it might be better to have everyone doing something. I think "Mothers" would be a good one. I do really like "I'm not Lonely" too. Hmm. Let's talk about it in class.

    I also think doing a lesson that mirrors the one where the students think about something or somewhere they like, and they write about that using very few words. this allows the students to really think about word choice. Kinda what Erika suggested...the whole "power-per-word Quotient" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many ideas that we could do and that is really our problem...which is actually a good problem! I want to teach a creative writing class or a poetry class as an elective...(am I being too picky considering I really just need a job and honestly would teach anything, lol). You are great book clubbers and bloggers.

    ReplyDelete