Monday, March 23, 2009

Hey Guys, 

So I'm finishing up the NCTE Book...Overall I really like the techniques that Jago uses, and totally agree that using Nikki Giovanni's poems as a model is a great way to help struggling writers.  Actually the set up of her classroom reminded me a bit of a poetry writing workshop I took here for 2 semesters.  I love the fact that she isn't forcing the meaning of the poem onto the students, meaning in some cases is not everything.  

Also, though, as Jago puts it... she offers Nikki Giovanni's work "as a model rather than a straight jacket." (Jago, 39).   That was one thing that always put me off in HS... teachers assign a poetry assignment but it HAD to be in a specific that specific format.  By offering poetry to class in this manner, by modeling but not necessarily require the same "structure," students really have an opportunity to let the style inform their own writing style in a manner that they see fit. 

Also, As I was reading this book, aside from my love of her techniques, I was debating if a Unit of study around a single poet is better or worse than studying the work multiple poets?  Though I know the book only focuses on Nikki Giovanni, it would be great to use Giovanni's poetry to introduce other contemporary poets like Gwendolyn Brooks, Rita Dove, Adrienne Rich and so many others.  I'm not sure how I would feel about a unit solely on Nikki Giovanni (Don't get me wrong I love her work) but just it would be interesting to study how her work differs from a few other contemporary poets, and for students to share their ideas about other poets as well.  Maybe I'm being too much of an English Major...but I think there is a of value in bringing other poets works in, to juxtapose against Giovanni's.  

See you in class!

2 comments:

  1. The thing that kinda bothered me about Jago is how she centered her teaching of Nikki's poems around literary devices. I mean I know that it was not the end-all goal to take from the lessons and engagement with the poems, but I think it would be interesting to look at the poems in a way which would connect to themes that the teacher and students would want to look at.

    I think a unit on Nikki Giovanni's poetry would be great, but I think that it there should be some more diversity with writers. I think it would be interesting to have the students go out into the world and find poetry, rather than us bring it in though. This would show students that they are capable of being discovers of poets out there that speak to them, rather than us bringing it in. Providing just Giovanni would be ok, but they should search out other poets, as well as write poems themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you...initially I thought that using all of one author's poems would really allow students to see a poet progress through different historical time periods and would expose how authors can write in a variety of style and with a variety of moods. After the first 50 poems, however, I began to think otherwise. Students may become bored focusing just on one poet. I love Nikki's work too, but at times I was wishing for a change in scenery, so to speak. I love the idea of bridging poets with poets and bridging with STUDENTS poetry. awesome.

    ReplyDelete