Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Reading and writing poetry helps us to find the notes we share"

I just finished reading the NCTE portion of this "book club" and found the information to be so useful. I really can't wait to talk about it in person...we need to move this virtual book club into real life with real cups of coffees and smiles! (ha. you guys are great!)

Anyways, I liked the suggestions about modeling poetry, or borrowing ideas from poets in order for students to write thier own poetry. Sometimes the hardest part about poems is starting... So I felt inspired to write my own inspired by Knoxville Tennesee.

20 Orchard St

I always liked 20 Orchard St
best
You never knock
are always invited
to drink coffee
and eat a meal
and play cards
or tiles
watch a movie
or just talk
at the kitchen counter
while the sun beams in
the skylights
from outside

I always liked
20 Orchard st
best
G&Gs.

:)

So many great ideas you can borrow from this, I am interested to read the other NCTE books.

3 comments:

  1. I know, I'm in the middle of it. I really like the ideas that Jago has to tie literary devices and the stories of her students together. I really want to try the oral history project idea that she used in Chapter 1. There are a lot of ideas that can be adopted for any text.

    Great Poem btw!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the NCTE book too. I love how it includes poetry written by the students. The section about how life and art intersect was beautiful and def something I'd do with my students in class. I love Nikki Giovanni. I love how When talking about the BEEP Beep poem, the students begin to think bout their own writing and their starting point. You guys were talking about starting points and I think that that section in particular would be really helpful for us to read in order to get our students going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poem Erika. it made me think of so many things in my life. its simplicity and nostalgia... loved it

    ReplyDelete